[Catalyst] Managing CPAN on Ubuntu [was: 'Installing under ...' on the wiki]

Richard Jolly richardjolly at mac.com
Sat Jan 6 14:44:48 GMT 2007

On 5 Jan 2007, at 12:10, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

> On Friday 05 January 2007 05:08, Richard Jolly wrote:
>> Reviving an old thread here - I was wondering if you found such a
>> Dummies list.
>>
>> I'm new to the debian/ubuntu way (I've been on FreeBSD, an OS X). I
>> gather there is a danger of mixing apt-get and CPAN installs. But from
>> my impression people usually end up with mixed installs anyway.
>> dh-make-perl is an option, but doesn't handle dependencies as well as
>> cpan.
>>
>> I'm looking for strategies to handle this - particularly in the
>> context
>> of installing catalyst on ubuntu.
>
> I like using CPANPLUS and CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb.  If you use this module,
> cpanplus will build a debian package (and dependencies) and then use
> dpkg to
> install the module.  That means that you can easily remove and upgrade
> packages with dpkg (and apt), or just use CPAN.  It's kind of a pain if
> you've already installed some modules, though, so it's best if you
> start
> using it right away.  (The problem, though, is that you have to install
> CPANPLUS somehow.)

I've still got an essentially fresh install. I installed some modules
with cpan, but under a local user directory so I could wipe them
easily.

I'll try CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb - it looks nice. It sounds like
dh-make-perl, though. The ubuntu archives where this Is there a reason
for your preference?

Thanks,

Richard