[Catalyst] Accessing action URIs outside of Catalyst app

Brian Kirkbride brian.kirkbride at deeperbydesign.com
Mon Jan 8 16:59:54 GMT 2007

Matt S Trout wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2007, at 20:21, Brian Kirkbride wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is there a best practice way to maintain a map of URLs used in a
>> Catalyst application.  To clarify, I need to map actions to URLs
>> outside of Catalyst (CRON jobs, Emailers, etc) and won't have access
>> to $c->uri_for or the $c->dispatcher.
>
> If you need to do this, your design is broken.

Perhaps, but I ascribe that to it being in transition :)

> Step back. Explain what you're trying to achieve.

Automated emails sent out to users need to provide them with a list of different
webapp URLs.  These actions are asynchronous from the webapp itself.  I have a
number of scripts (a few are legacy dinosaurs) that need webapp URLs as well.

If I choose to change /cancel to /account/cancel later on, I'd like to do it in
one place.  I realize that without parsing the controllers' actions I can't
expect the outside code to get those URLs.  I would also rather not "use
MyApp.pm" in simple scripts that only need my model logic and a URL, and in some
cases I can't.

My hope was to configure the URL mapping in a config file, which could be
accessed by my webapp and outside scripts.  Something like this:

sub cancel : Args(1) : Path($urlmap->{account_cancel}) {
	# action
}

This, of course, does not work because attributes do not evaluate their
arguments.  Perhaps my solution is to subclass the Dispatcher to allow for:

sub cancel : Args(1) : FromURLMap('account_cancel') {
	# action
}

That wouldn't be too hard.  Thoughts?

Best,