[Catalyst] Browser window/tab independent sessions

Matija Grabnar matija at serverflow.com
Tue Jan 9 05:30:04 GMT 2007

Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> And I think this is what is wanted, because I can't see other needs
> for having 2 separate sessions on the same computer.
There is no need for having two separate sessions if you can guarantee
the user will ALWAYS be able to finish
one task before starting another. That works beautifully in theory, not
so well in real life.

Practical case one: database of users for an ISP. A helpdesk operator is
going through his tickets, looking up one user at a time, when a phone
call comes in. He now either has to deal with the customer without
looking them up (practically impossible), or he has to abandon the
session where he half completed the processing of the ticket in order to
look
up the customer. Both alternatives are unappealing.

Practical case two: a webshop where items can be customised. (i.e. first
you choose a widget, then you specify the color, case design, ram size,
two wheels or four, .... Let us say all of those choices affect the
price). As long as your customers go through the shop one widget at a
time, everything is fine. But if he goes through two different sessions
at a time
because he wants to "comparison shop", they have a problem. If *all*
your state is in the cookie, it is simply impossible
for them to do that.

There are very good reasons why PART of the session information should
be unique to each tab, and PART of it should be common. Deciding which
part belongs where requires knowledge of the problem domain, and
thinking through of common usage scenarios.

Saying "Oh, that problem is solved by choosing browser X" is completely
unacceptable in the real world. In the real world, you can NOT choose
which browser all the people using your application will run, nor can
you afford to turn away those who run different browsers.