[Catalyst] Preferred Ajax framework

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 21:38:42 GMT 2007

--- "Mesdaq, Ali" <amesdaq at websense.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone new to the list and new to catalyst
> in general. I am
> still trying to figure out best ways of using it in
> our environment with
> least amount of pain. To do that I am trying to plan
> it out before I
> start really getting my hands dirty.
>
> My question is what is everyone's preferred Ajax
> framework? There are
> tons of them out there but which one in your
> experience is the best. A
> little short reason would also be appreciated to see
> if my priorities
> line up with your reasons.

Let the flame war begin now :)

I prefer Jquery.  I find it's syntax and way of
thinking to really fit in with the way I think as a
perl programmer.  It's fairly lightweight but you can
add plugins for more features.  It's got a very active
community.

Of all the frameworks I played with, I got up to speed
with Jquery the quickest and wrote more code.  I also
found it replaced almost all my other libraries.  For
example I often ended up adding the Behavior library
because I liked binding code to CSS style selectors
rather than put '...onclick' everywhere.  But this is
built into Jquery.

It's got good support for form bindings and for JSON
or serializing to XML.  A lot of this is in plugins,
so you can drop them when you don't need them.

The docs are also pretty good.  I found trying to do
anything in Dojo to be really hard and I had to
constantly study the source code to understand how to
do even very basic stuff.

I know the question was specifically about AJAX, but
for me I'd rather have a good toolkit that covers the
bases with plugins as needed for the rest, rather than
to pick a choose lots of other libraries.  This way I
can subscribe to a single mailing list!

--john