[Catalyst] Advent calendar - day 15

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Wed Jan 10 12:43:22 GMT 2007

Kieren Diment ha scritto:

> On 09/01/07, *Marcello Romani* <mromani at ottotecnica.com
> <mailto:mromani at ottotecnica.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>          it's late for additions to the advent calendar, I know, anyway here
>     I go.
>
>     On day 15 Kieren Diment says "I have been unable to get the range
>     request output for this server, but would be interested to hear how."
>
>     Using Winamp and moving around the cursor while playing causes range
>     requests to be sent to the streaming server, which then handles them
>     correctly.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Couldn't replicate this with mplayer - (probably because of a small mp3
> and a fast network).  thanks for the input.

I did the test on my xp sp2 laptop - so no bandwidth bottlenecks :-)
My mp3 was about 3 mins long.
IIRC, not every cursor movement led to a range request, I suppose
because of some caching taking place (which seems reasonable to me - why
re-request a piece of stream you've just received ?).

Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT
Ottotecnica s.r.l.
http://www.ottotecnica.com