(off-topic) Re: [Catalyst] Preferred Ajax framework

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Jan 11 18:09:09 GMT 2007

On 11 Jan 2007, at 15:40, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> Carl Franks wrote:
>> On 11/01/07, Toby Corkindale <toby at ymogen.net> wrote:
>>> ... Attempts to correct said
>>> documentation by me failed, as you need to sign a disclosure
>>> saying your
>>> contributions are owned by the Dojo Foundation (so they can
>>> publish a
>>> book later) ...
>> The CLA ( http://dojotoolkit.org/icla.txt ) grants them a copyright
>> license for your work.
>> The work is still owned by you...
>> "Except for the license granted herein to the Foundation and
>> recipients of software distributed by the Foundation, You reserve all
>> right, title, and interest in and to Your Contributions."
>> You could dispute its commercial use...
>> "the Foundation shall not use Your Contributions in a way that is ...
>> inconsistent with its nonprofit status"
>> After I faxed them the CLA they commited my previous submissions,
>> with
>> no problems.
>
> I didn't have a problem with the CLA itself.. I just couldn't be
> bothered to actually go through with the procedure to sign it.
>
> (I only found out after I submitted stuff, so it's wasted time, but
> I didn't want to waste any more either.)

We (and clients) tend to just put a CCLA in, then any contribution
can go back. The "if it's in the main source tree we don't have to
maintain the patchsets" argument tends to work well with management IME.

Printing and faxing an ICLA is hardly much work either, and dojo is
getting major corporate interest (including from people like IBM)
because the CLA stuff ensures their licensing coherency.

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for