[Catalyst] creating a model

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Fri Jan 12 12:44:58 GMT 2007

Octavian Rasnita ha scritto:

>> Hi Octavian,
>
>> Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to do but ou are trying
>> to use a deprecated module (see the output of your email above).  You
>
> Ok, I think I know what's the problem. The problem is that I am using an
> older version of Catalyst, and I have followed the examples from
> Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial that gives an example of using:
>
>    script/tutorial_create.pl model UserData DBIC
> dbi:SQLite:/path/to/mydb.db
>
> Catalyst might be elegant, but not for Windows where everything works
> very hard, not because of Windows but because Catalyst and the modules
> it uses are very poor compatible with Windows.

I've been using ActivePerl (free edition) for almost 1,5 years now, 90%
of the time to develop Catalyst applications.
I even deployed some of them under apache 2.0.5x / modperl2 under
windows server 200x.
Most of the problems I found (wrt modules installation) were not related
to Catalyst itself (which is as cross platform as Perl can be), but
because of some not-pure-perl modules, which of course don't compile
under windows by default, because _windows_ doesn't offer almos any dev
tool out of the box.

This is not a Catalyst-specific issue, but a Perl vs. Windows issue.

This response is already OT enough, so I will not go into details here.
Let me just list some options you have:
* install the free visual c++ toolkit (no ide, just the compiler/linker)
or some other c compiler
* use cygwin
* get ppd files (pre-compiled ActiveState packages created from CPAN
modules)
* search for pure perl modules that do the same thing as the xs ones
(e.g. Cache::FastMMap is not the only cache module supported by Catalyst)

> I have tried installing the latest version of Catalyst using cpan, but
> there were too many errors to be able to fix them all.
> (I guess that the Tutorial from the latest version is updated and
> doesn't recommend trying using the deprecated DBIC).
>
> Octavian

Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT
Ottotecnica s.r.l.