[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:57:08 GMT 2007

On 1/15/07, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's why I was curious and I have sent to the list that blog with the
> comparison between RoR and Catalyst.

You need to keep in mind that sometimes it's easier to optimize things
for benchmarks than for real world applications. That happens in
almost every field of computer technology: from video cards to web
development frameworks.

The only real way of comparing frameworks is to build a small (but
complex) application using each one of them. I honestly don't know if
Catalyst would perform better than the others but I think that if it
performs worse, it won't be by a large margin under these conditions.

Of course, no one wants to do that. People want to do quick and dirty
benchmarks (and, thus, get quick and dirty results). I wish I had
enough knowledge regarding RoR and Ruby so that I could perform a
proper benchmark but I don't even know if it supports things such as
chained actions which we take for granted when using Catalyst.

Leaving performance aside, I think Catalyst is probably the best web
framework out there feature-wise. And, for most people who have a
clue, that's usually what really matters.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.