[Catalyst] creating binaries

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 20:38:35 GMT 2007

From: <Wade.Stuart at fallon.com>
> Take a look at /tmp/pdk/ perlapp exes dump the plaintext while running.
> This is not a "problem" with Catalyst,  perl is an interpreted language
> not
> a compiled one.  perlapp is there to make distributing self contained perl
> applications easier,  not to protect your source.

perlapp doesn't drop the source code in /tmp. It puts there only some .dll
files, and nothing more than that.
(I am using perl Dev Kit 6.02, but now PDK 7 was just released).

Can the source code be got easily from those dll files?
If it cannot be found easily, then I think it would be nice if the Catalyst
applications could be deployed using perlapp.

If a language is interpreted, this doesn't mean that the programs that were
made with it cannot be protected in any way.

Or, is there another way of protecting the code from a Catalyst app?

Thanks.

Octavian