OT: [Catalyst] creating binaries

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Wed Jan 17 08:04:04 GMT 2007

>Can you tell me how to find the source code from a perlapp program?
>Everyone says that it is very simple, but nobody was able to do it.

The answer is in the manual
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq3.html#How-can-I-hide-the-source-for-my-Perl-
program%3f

Perlmonks is a better place for these kind of questions

I'm still not really sure what you're trying to achieve as you haven't
really said what your app will do. There are several approaches to consider:

1) Use a remote server to host part of the application and talk to it from a
front end via SOAP and XML-RPC. That's a lot easier than it sounds provided
your users have net access http://search.cpan.org/~rjray/RPC-XML-0.59/.

2) Write part of your app in VB or C# and supply a DLL wrapped in
copy-protection. It will still be possible to crack but a lot more difficult
than trying to hide perl. Bear in mind if your software is popular enough it
only takes one person to crack it and list it on astalavista
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=software+wrapper+copy+protection&btnG
=Google+Search&meta=

3) Go the Open Source route. My customers have started going this way. Why?
A lot cheaper. Cost of developing software is 50% testing and if you use
popular Open Source or sponsor its development you get a lot of free testing
and quicker time to stable software.

Regards, Peter