[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Jay K jayk at ion0.com
Wed Jan 17 17:04:26 GMT 2007

I agree 100% on this... if we are judging Catalyst, et al, as simple
dispatchers, then we should consider apache+cgi in the discussion as
well - as apache is obviously one of the most venerable and widely
deployed dispatchers out there.

A framework is much more than that.  In my experience, the costs in
time and money involved in building and maintaining the code for an
app outweigh the cost of deploying it by huge margins.  Furthermore,
by the time you are experiencing enough traffic to be analyzing the
performance at this granular a level, there are much better ways to
improve your responses per second that cost much less in terms of
time and money.

These days, for less than the cost of a week of work, you can double
your serving capacity easily - and because of the 'fringe benefits'
of using Catalyst this is usually simply a matter of swapping out
session and caching plugins (if you even use them) to the more cross-
server compatible modules.

If you are using a frontend cache like squid, you can do even more
cost-for-performance-wise.

Personally, I use Catalyst because it takes care of a lot of details
I would rather not worry about.  When I  am free of worrying about
all those details, I can focus on building JUST my application
logic.  This means that my application logic tends to be more solid,
because I am not tracking a ton of specifics outside of my app.

Because I'm not constantly crossing the line between my app and base
functionality (responding to HTTP, getting the correct bit of code
executed based on the request, etc.), I am not chasing bugs related
to that line.  I can rely on the fact that it will always happen in a
particular way and if I have a bug, it's more than likely in my
application, so I can focus there.

That is the power of a Framework any 'benchmark' that doesn't take
those things into account is so much fluff and of no use to me.

JayK