[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Thu Jan 18 18:24:45 GMT 2007

* Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> [2007-01-18 17:55]:
> A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> >Eh? Apache doesn’t dispatch anything unless maybe you’re
> >talking about mod_perl
>
> If that's true, then GETting http://mysite.com/foo/bar/baz.html
> would get a file named $DOCROOT/foo\/bar\/baz.html.
> Considering that's never the case (you can't have / in UNIX
> filenames, only paths), I would say Apache is a dispatcher.
> Add mod_alias and mod_rewrite into the mix, and Apache is
> definitely a URL dispatcher.

Hmm, you’re right. I guess I’ll start writing my apps as lots of
little CGI scripts so that I can use the Apache dispatching.

No wait, this isn’t 1992 anymore.

(Except for many PHP people who’re still stuck there.)

Last I checked, Apache’s URI translation won’t route requests to
particular methods within an app that’s launched from a single
script, so no, Apache is not a dispatcher in the sense that
Catalyst or RoR is.

You can of course load your app *into* the webserver with
mod_perl, in which case you can configure Apache to dispatch the
URI to a particular method in your app; but I mentioned that as
an exception in the previous mail anyway. I assumed that would be
enough of a hint, but I guess I expected too much.

Are we done splitting this hair now or do you need more
clarification?

Regards,