[Catalyst] Templates in the database

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Jan 18 23:22:11 GMT 2007

I currently have most templates (TT) on disk -- and many I'd consider
to be an integral part of the application and are thus under revision
control with the rest of the application.

But, it would make managing the running application a bit easier if
the templates were in the database.  But, I don't really want to give
up revision control.

First, I'm curious if many people are serving templates from the
database.

I'm also curious about methods you might use for revision management
of the templates (or any content) that are in the database.

I currently have "static content" served from the database -- but I
haven't overridden Template::Provider, rather I fetch the template and
pass it as a scalar ref to TT.  But, all other templates are
still served off disk (wrappers, footers, headers, layout, etc).

I do maintain a history of these pages, and I have a crude "diff" view
using Algorithm::Diff.  I have a table that holds the history of the
content and use triggers to write to it on update.

Is this how you are (or would) do this?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org