[Catalyst] Recommend methods for form handling

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 17:37:19 GMT 2007

On 1/19/07, Wade.Stuart at fallon.com <Wade.Stuart at fallon.com> wrote:
> These types of application decisions always make me ponder about javascript
> going back into lockdown mode in large corporations.  You seem to be boxing
> yourself into a corner if js filtering ever becomes back in trend.  Also
> how are you handling accessibility -- or are users with special needs
> considered expendable in your sector?  Most of (what I consider) to be sane
> web2.0/ajax/js applications I see tend to build apps that are fully usable
> without js, and then layer on js/ajax to make pieces of them more dynamic
> or polish the UI. I am not ripping on this decision,  just asking if you
> can go into your rational for this a little bit.

Nowadays, when conservative stats are showing that at at least 95% of
the users have Javascript enabled (and some other stats showing
numbers like 99.3% of the user have it enabled) it's hard to sustain a
case against Javascript.

Sure, if you're designing a government agency site or a bank site it
might be needed to support all kinds of users. But even Google has
decided against supporting non-Javascript enabled browsers in some
application (e.g. JS disabled = no Google ads) I'm sure there are good
reasons backing up this decision since losing 0.7% to 5% of the
advertising revenue means losing approx. 70 to 500 million dollars.

>From a developer POV I think that the major benefit of designing
things with those graceful degradation statements in mind is that you
end up writing things in a cleaner and much more modularized fashion
yet you need to make sure that all the bits fit together very well.
But it sure means a lot of extra work.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.