[Catalyst] Uniform treatment of all parameters (including file uploads)

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 18:27:15 GMT 2007

--- Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I constantly bump into the mismatch in the treatment
> of 'normal'
> params and the file uploads.
>
> Wouldn't life be simpler if
>
> $c->request->param( 'file_field' )
>
> would return a Catalyst::Request::Upload object (or
> an array of them)?
>
> You can get the name of the uploaded file from a
> Catalyst::Request::Upload object.
>
> --
> Zbigniew Lukasiak

I also think about this a lot since I'm working mostly
on applications with lots of file uploading.  You'd
still get a sort of mismatch though, but would be in
the type of thing that 'param' is returning.

In a way, with a POST everything is really an upload,
just that by convention if the type is urlencoded with
consider it a flat parameter list.  But I think we
will need a more evolved way of thinking about this.
Work that's been done on the REST controllers suggest
a possible path.  This way we can convert any type of
incoming POST into some sort of Perl object or List of
lists.  Just need the correct de/inflators.

I like that Catalyst lets me easily separate
parameters extracted from a urlencoded body from
search query parameters.  I do really use then for
separate things.

You could probably write a quick plugin to push upload
objects into the param list, but messing with that
list will probably result in it not being widely
accepted.