[Catalyst] html::prototype syntax in new Cat version

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:35:14 GMT 2007

On 7/10/07, J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com> wrote:

> prototype.js and friends (scriptaculous, openrico, etc) are rated the
> lowest in those categories.  It fails the robust check by having
> several things that don't play nice together, and also I've seen some
> serious cross-browser compatibility issues.  Standardization is
> probably the biggest gripe people have with prototype.js.  It doesn't
> encapsulate and clobbers existing objects or adds on to them in weird
> ways (like arrays).  As an example, if you use some effects in
> scriptaculous, Google Maps fails to work because of their mouse
> capturing code.

Good to know. Do you know which Scriptaculous effects break Google Maps? It
will be useful for planning for the future.

It's safe to say that inside of the Catalyst community, you will get
> absolutely zero support if you chose to use Prototype.  You are free
> to ask, but you will get flamed for your choice.  That's just the way
> it goes.

Some of the larger Catalyst-based sites use prototype (or parts of
prototype) but the ones I've seen don't use Google Maps. Those projects also
don't ask for prototype help from the Catalyst community. I think some of
the flames given for prototype usage also prevent others from providing
assistance. As you say, that's just the way it goes.

If you want alternatives, here are the more favored solutions that
> have proven themselves to be of a quality Catalysters will bother
> assisting with:
> * Dojo - http://www.dojotoolkit.org/
> * YUI - http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/
> * jQuery - http://www.jquery.com/
> * Mootools - http://mootools.net
> * MochiKit - http://www.mochikit.com
>
> And, of course, there is Ext (http://www.extjs.com) which sits on top
> of YUI and jQuery (and hopefully Dojo soon... and unfortunately
> prototype.js, but it's a good way of getting your code away from
> prototype and onto something higher quality.) and is more of a
> "widget".
>
> Picking a quality JS lib is just as important as picking a quality
> framework.

I think one reason prototype keeps coming up is because HTML::Prototype
exists and is the only wrapper providing Perl access to JS effects.
HTML::Prototype doesn't seem to have a lot of functionality in it but it can
get some small things going fast. If a HTML::$other_js_lib was created,
especially with the same API, Prototype usage would probably stop. A
HTML::JQuery might be useful. Just a thought.

-- =

John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/