[Catalyst] html::prototype syntax in new Cat version

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:00:39 GMT 2007

On 7/10/07, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's been said by others but I really prefer to do all
> this in my templates.  It would be easy to have this
> in a Template Toolkit plugin if you wanted, but I
> can't see the value of basically using perl as a code
> generator for Javascript.  I prefer to be closer to
> the original API.  But that's my choice :)
>
> --john

Agreed, but I sometimes doubt the practicality of this when attracting
new users.  Folks who are comfortable with full-spectrum development
(setting up Apache, FastCGI/MP, Catalyst, their templating, DBs) are
the minority.  A significant number of users are copy'n'paste-based.
They take code that works, and include it in their own app and
continue until they get the product they want.

Without helpers, we're going to be stuck with people asking about the
JS-toolkit that does have a helper.

The only way I think we can help promote a "better path" is to make it
just as easy to use a better JS kit.  This means helpers, and TT
macros and all that.

The problem is that everybody who has the knowledge to do this, simply
doesn't care to because they fundamentally view it as wrong or a waste
of time (which I do as well, but I see the "business" case for the
Catalyst project).

-J.

--
J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...