[Catalyst] size limit on file uploads

Jim Spath jspath at pangeamedia.com
Tue Jul 10 22:39:55 GMT 2007

J. Shirley wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Jim Spath <jspath at pangeamedia.com> wrote:
>> I would like to place a maximum file size limit on uploads, but am not
>> quite sure how to go about this in Catalyst.
>>
>> I've done this in CGI scripts by reading in chunks of the file until I
>> hit some size limit, but couldn't find anything in the Catalyst docs.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> - Jim
>>

> Hi Jim,
>
> A better approach would be to configure the webserver to do this, that
> way you aren't tying up your application.
>
> As an example, if you use Apache simply do:
> LimitRequestBody 1048576
>
> -Jay

Jay,

Using the webserver is a definite possibility, and something we should
put in place anyways, to restrict large requests.

One downside of using such an option for limiting of file uploads is
that it restricts me from providing meaningful error messages to the
user within my application.

Another downside is that the limit would then be static across my
application, preventing me from setting different limits depending on
what the user is doing.

- Jim