[Catalyst] html::prototype syntax in new Cat version

Will Smith willbelair at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 19:21:12 GMT 2007

YES PLEASE. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Please make it happen soon, or I will be fired (for not getting ajax working). Thank you Cat Community.

John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:
--- John Wang wrote:

> On 7/10/07, J. Shirley wrote:
> >
> > On 7/10/07, John Napiorkowski
> wrote:
> > >
> > > It's been said by others but I really prefer to
> do all
> > > this in my templates. It would be easy to have
> this
> > > in a Template Toolkit plugin if you wanted, but
> > > can't see the value of basically using perl as a
> code
> > > generator for Javascript. I prefer to be closer
> > > the original API. But that's my choice :)
> > >
> > > --john
> > >

> > Agreed, but I sometimes doubt the practicality of
> this when attracting
> > new users. Folks who are comfortable with
> full-spectrum development
> > (setting up Apache, FastCGI/MP, Catalyst, their
> templating, DBs) are
> > the minority. A significant number of users are
> copy'n'paste-based.
> > They take code that works, and include it in their
> own app and
> > continue until they get the product they want.
> >
> > Without helpers, we're going to be stuck with
> people asking about the
> > JS-toolkit that does have a helper.
> >
> > The only way I think we can help promote a "better
> path" is to make it
> > just as easy to use a better JS kit. This means
> helpers, and TT
> > macros and all that.
> >
> > The problem is that everybody who has the
> knowledge to do this, simply
> > doesn't care to because they fundamentally view it
> as wrong or a waste
> > of time (which I do as well, but I see the
> "business" case for the
> > Catalyst project).
>

> I agree. I don't use Perl wrappers myself but think
> they would Catalyst more
> of a full solution and head off the Prototype.js
> questions we keep getting.

Maybe let has out what a wiki entry for this topic
could be like. I have a little spare time to help
write it up.

suggested topics could be:

-- How do advanced JS libs integrate with Catalyst
-- What are the recommended libraries
-- What is the best place to turn for help
-- What is the Catalyst roadmap in regards to this.

What else do we think should be on there?

--john

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html