[Catalyst] TT2 + CP::Authentication + DBIC gotcha

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jul 13 22:15:30 GMT 2007

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On 7/13/07, J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As anecdotal evidence to its insidious behavior, I've personally been
>> involved in a 5 man debugging effort that took 13 days (not full days,
>> but probably an average of 3-4 hours a day * 5 people * 13 days) to
>> finally find the bug.  Which was simply "my $foo = $bar if $baz;"
>>
>> The reason why it was so hard to track down was because ot he
>> wonderful undefined behavior.
>
> I had a similar experience, which is why I always mention when I see
> it in other people's code now.  It's a real problem and very hard to
> track down if you haven't heard of it before.

[disclaimer:  not a paid spokesmodel ... ]

A while ago, I tossed a code that did things like that into Komodo.  I
set a break point after the my $variable = expression if (condition);
line and didn't see the $variable in the list.  I went back to look at
the condition, and realized what happened.

Nowadays I simply put all the variable creation in a separate section
near the beginning.

  Joe

landman at scalableinformatics.com