[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst::Helper passes %T to POSIX::strftime - causesinfinite loop under Win32

Thomas L. Shinnick tshinnic at io.com
Thu Jul 19 20:31:30 GMT 2007

At 01:07 PM 7/19/2007, rahed wrote:
>"Peter Edwards" <peter at dragonstaff.com> writes:
>
> > I'm using AS Perl 5.8.8 817 and POSIX::strftime %T is broken in that.
> >
> > strftime("%Y-%m-%d %T", localtime time)
> > gives '2007-07-18 ', empty string in place of %T
>
>Same with perl, v5.8.8 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread compiled with
>MinGW.

Binary build 819 [267479] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Aug 29 2006 12:42:41

     perl -MPOSIX -e "print POSIX::strftime('%T', localtime time)"
infinite loops, but
     perl -MPOSIX -e "print POSIX::strftime('%T ', localtime time)"
doesn't.  Including anything else in the format stops it from looping.  And
     perl -MPOSIX -e "print POSIX::strftime('', localtime time)"
also doesn't loop.  So it is definitely something wrong in handling
%T ... and any other format letter not shown as defined in the
POSIX::strftime docs  ("These are aAbBcdHIjmMpSUwWxXyYZ%.").  Try
     perl -MPOSIX -e "print POSIX::strftime('%C', localtime time)"
but don't wait long ...

Anyway, apparently any format letter not *explicitly* mentioned as
supported, will fail, sometimes infinitely.

I can't find any applicable bugs in AS bugzilla.  Guess I'll file
one.  (It's been _months_ since my last...)

--
I'm a pessimist about probabilities; I'm an optimist about possibilities.
     Lewis Mumford  (1895-1990)