[Catalyst] PATCH: refactor Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::Restarter to standalone module

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Jul 22 20:03:20 GMT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 08:58:42AM -0400, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like the auto-restart feature that is in the Catalyst HTTP::Restarter
> server. I wanted to use the restarting trick with a project based on
> HTTP::Server::Simple, so I looked to see how tied this functionality was to
> Catalyst. Here's what I found:
>
> Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::Restarter::Watcher is not functionally tied to
> Catalyst at all. It just shares a namespace.
>
> Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::Restarter depends on no functionality from Catalyst
> but was still coupled with it through a base-class relationship which could
> be easily avoided.
>
> The attached patch moves these to modules into the HTTP::Server::Restarter
> namespace, and makes slight alternations to the other Catalyst files so
> that the functionality remains the same, as well as the dependencies.

Wouldn't Devel::Restart::Automatic or similar be more sensible name-wise?

I don't see that there needs to be anything HTTP-dependent in the code
you're factoring out.

Once we've settled one a name, I'd be happy to set up a directory under
Catalyst svn for the factored out code and give you commit to it, then we
can move the core across to it once everybody's had a chance to play with
the factored-out code and stabilise it.