[Catalyst] Session trouble

Jim Spath jspath at pangeamedia.com
Mon Jul 23 15:36:53 GMT 2007

Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 07:20:36PM +0300, Yuval Kogman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> no update yet, been terribly busy (the client is not being very nice
>> to us).
>>
>> If you need comaint to release yourself let me know. You should have
>> commit access, right?
>
> I can take another stab at it -- I had spent a few hours throwing
> warn and cluck messages into the code to try and figure out what was
> going on.  My eyes started to glaze over after a while.
>
> I like how you refactored the plugins quite a bit.  But, I wish there
> were comments in the code to give a little context.  That would make
> debugging by people unfamiliar with the code easier.  I also find NEXT
> makes it a bit more complicated when trying to follow stack traces.
>
> Would you have a few minutes to at least verify if you can reproduce
> the problem with the test application I sent?  I'd like to rule out any
> thing that might be due to my environment.
>

> What seems to be happening (and this was happening with a previous bit
> of code from a week or two back) was that I was accessing the session
> after it had been cleared/reset at the "end" of finalize (or something
> like that).  So, that was creating a new sessionid and thus storing
> the session data under a different id than the id used in the cookie.
>
> This is the code that's getting me now:
>
>     sub calculate_session_cookie_expires {
>         my $c = shift;
>
>         return $c->session->{remember_me}
>             ? $c->session_expires
>             : $c->NEXT::calculate_session_cookie_expires;
>     }
>
> I think the quick fix would be to stuff the remember_me flag in the
> stash earlier in the request and look at the stash instead of the
> session (to avoid creating a new sessionid by calling $c->session).
>
> I thought it might be a matter or moving
> $c->_clear_session_instance_data later in the request cycle, but it
> seems that's not really the problem.  I was seeing multiple sessions
> created (and cleared) in the case of a request with a cookie with an
> id for an expired session -- which doesn't seem right.
>

> Oh, and to note again:  I think the behavior of dieing on invalid
> session id format is not right.  The id should just be ignored in that
> case and a new cookie sent.  If someone ends up with a bad cookie (or
> the cookie format changes) could result in a lockout.

Hi,

We recently upgraded our Session modules and
C::P::Session::DynamicExpiry no longer seems to function.

I was wondering if this could be related to the issues discussed in this
email thread?

If so, is there any update?  If not, is some temporary way for me to get
"remember me" functionality working again?

Thanks!
- Jim