[Catalyst] plugins; was Re: debug mode

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Jun 7 22:12:30 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 01:04:02PM -0700, mla wrote:
> Matt S Trout wrote:
> >>Yes, I'd like to know more about this too please. Mason has a similar
> >>construct - HTML::Mason::Request->instance() - and it works fine with
> >>Mason subrequests or recursive calls to an entirely different Mason
> >>interpreter. It just returns the value of a dynamically scoped
> >>variable that is set at the beginning of a Mason request.
> >
> >If you like that style, load Catalyst::Plugin::Singleton and enjoy. I don't
> >but I'm not the arbiter of bad code :)
>
> Cool, that's exactly what I was hoping for.
>
> Other than the fact you don't like the style, why is it bad?
> You don't like singletons?

I'm not fond of any magic global if I can possibly avoid it - I find it
tends to encourage tight coupling of code and action at a distance and
makes testing and debugging messy.

I prefer anything a method call needs to have been either (a) passed to the
object when it was constructed or (b) passed to the method as it's called.

It can be a bit more work up-front but it makes you think about your
architecture, which I find pays off down the road.