[Catalyst] RFC for handling reverse proxies not deployed to standard ports.

Marlon Bailey mbailey at vortexit.net
Fri Jun 15 17:24:48 GMT 2007

Current situation:  There is no clean solution for deploying a reverse
proxy to a nonstandard HTTP(80)/HTTPs(443) port, like port 8080.

Suggestion:  I'd like to submit a solution that extends the current
proxy-backend practice of reading the proxy values out of the request
header.  Currently the client's IP is taken from a "X-Forwarded-For"
header value, and the host's(Reverse Proxy) hostname is taken from a
"X-Forwarded-Host" header value. I suggest adding the ability for
Catalyst to set the host's port from a "X-Forwarded-Host-Port" header
value.  This way a simple config option such as this

HEADER balancer_for_dev2 insert X-Forwarded-Host-Port: 8080

in a Perlbal config will give a clean solution.

Extras considerations:  After speaking with Matt(mst) about this, he
also suggested allowing the "Path" value to be set from a header value
as well.

What do you guys think?

_Marlon Bailey_
avinash240