[Catalyst] Catalyst::Log::Log4perl branch

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:32:09 GMT 2007

On 3/2/07, Adam Jacob <adam at stalecoffee.org> wrote:
> Several people have pointed out that various parts of Log::Log4perl
> don't work well with Catalyst.  Specifically, many of the options
> that rely on Stack information are incorrect.  The format strings:
>
> %L Line number within the file where the log statement was issued
> %F File where the logging event occurred
> %C Fully qualified package (or class) name of the caller
> %M Method or function where the logging request was issued
> %l Fully qualified name of the calling method followed by the callers
> source the file name and line number between parentheses.
>
> Sebastian Willert has helpfully provided a patch that should resolve
> these issues.  He rules.  His changes have been put on this branch:
>
> http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-Log-
> Log4perl/cspec-fixes
>
> I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few days, but don't want to
> sit on this any longer.  Can those of you using
> Catalyst::Log::Log4perl give this a whirl, and make sure it works
> with your applications? (And doesn't cause any kind of nasty
> performance implications, especially with the cspec fixes disabled?)
>
> Your rewards will be my enduring gratitude, and a better
> Catalyst::Log::Log4perl.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Adam

Hey Adam,

Thanks for doing the work here.  I've got it going in one of my apps
on the dev site, things are working ok so far.  I'll keep banging on
it and making sure that it continues to work a-ok.  If you have
anything specific you'd like me to focus on just holler, otherwise
I'll be doing generalized testing.

Example from the log (pattern is:[%d %p (Method: %M; Class: %C; Line:
%L; FQN: %l] %m%n) :
[2007/03/03 13:31:30 DEBUG (Method: Catalyst::View::TT::render; Class:
Catalyst::View::TT; Line: 453; FQN: Catalyst::View::TT::render
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Catalyst/View/TT.pm (453)] Rendering
template "root.tt"

And, as an aside, It'd be great to have a _dump feature as well --
patches welcome?

Thanks,
-Jay
--