[Catalyst] Apache2+fcgid or Lighttpd

Toby Corkindale toby at ymogen.net
Mon Mar 19 19:36:29 GMT 2007

Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> I thought of using fcgi also, but wondered if the fact that lighty
> doesn't make the fcgi connection persistent was significant.

Are you sure? It looked persistent to me.

> On 3/15/07, Michele Beltrame <mb at italpro.net> wrote:
>> I'm about to deploy an application, and this time I can choose to use
>> Lightpd instead of Apache+fcgid, which I commonly use. I have no problem with
>> the latter configuration, but I was wondering if someone has comments/experience
>> about Lighttpd for running Catalyst applications, i.e. speed, memory
>> footprint, etc...

I swapped over to lighttpd and am currently impressed - it seems to
perform better than Apache under high numbers of concurrent connections
due to its non-forking architecture.
ie. Where apache would spawn more and more processes, chew loads of
memory, and then hit MaxClients and stop accepting connections, Lighttpd
seems to keep on truckin' and queuing them up.

Toby