[Catalyst] Re: Announce: Website In A Box

Brian Kirkbride brian.kirkbride at deeperbydesign.com
Wed Mar 21 21:34:18 GMT 2007

Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:47:15PM -0400, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>
>> Or more to the point... have app supplied templates, and be able to user
>> user customized templates in combination with the app
>> templates...without have to worry about sources, merging, upgrade, etc...
>
> I usually (using TT) do something like:
>
> INCLUDE_PATH: [base_framework_stuff app_stuff]
>
> All the templates go into base_framework_stuff
> All modifications needed for an app (or maybe even a sub-area of an app)
> go into app_stuff.
>
> You just need to break your templates into enough smallish components.
> In the end, it feels a lot like OO templates, where you can "override"
> the "base implementation".

I'm glad to see someone else doing this!  I've found it works well for my
projects and does feel very "OO" indeed.  As Thomas said, it is mostly about
finding the right granularity.  Not so small as to make it hard to understand a
template's function at a glance, but small enough that an override wouldn't step
on something you plan to update in a new revision.