[Catalyst] MySQL server has gone away

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue May 8 12:49:56 GMT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:29:23PM +0400, Oleg Pronin wrote:
> I'm creating a DBI wrapper (it will be called DBIx::Safe) that handles all
> disconnections transparently.
> If there is no transaction this module gives you 100% guarantee that your
> query will be executed without disconnection errors.
> In case of transaction it will notify you when you can safely restart the
> transaction (when it fails because of disconnection). This is very good
> feature for DBIx:Class's txn_do method. DBIC could restart the transaction
> (which is coderef) until it is completed succesfully.
> Together it could be 100% disconnections-safe system.

Please have a look at how DBIx::Class -current handles this - we've already
done significant work towards exactly what you describe and I'd rather you
extracted out our work into something we could depend on than see you
re-write the same code.

Also, would you be interested in svn space for this? I'd be a little worried
about making DBIx::Class depend on somebody I've never heard of in case they
were hit by a bus or similar - keeping it in our svn has allowed us to recover
from 'developer vanished' problems on other modules before ...

If you'd like to continue this discussion, please can we switch to the DBIC
list? I'm only replying here for consistency within the thread :)

Shadowcat Systems Ltd.   Contact mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk for a quote
                                          http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/