[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue May 8 16:39:13 GMT 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On 5/8/07, Luis Azevedo <braceta at sapo.pt> wrote:
>> What I still not understand is why he says RoR isn't MVC O:).
>
> The way most people use Rails and Catalyst is somewhat different from
> the MVC concept.  The traditional role of the controller is just to
> map user input to a method, and nothing more.  All of the business
> logic is supposed to be in the model.

There's a little more than just mapping input to a method. I think of it
as a translation layer between how the web server presents data and how my
model API wants it. And then there's reverse mapping, for example
translating exceptions thrown by the model into error messages we can show
to the user.

> Most users of RoR and Catalyst put a bunch of code in what gets
> referred to as the controller and call auto-generated ORM classes the
> model.  Most of the code they put in the controller is really the
> model too.

I don't ;)

One consequence of doing MVC the "right" way, though, is that you tend to
up with rather large and complex sets of model classes. This doesn't
bother me, but it's definitely the case that I end up with the bulk of my
application's code in the model.

-dave