[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Michael Reece mreece at vinq.com
Tue May 8 17:26:14 GMT 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:24:15PM +0100, Luis Azevedo wrote:
>
>> What I still not understand is why he says RoR isn't MVC O:).
>
> Because their "models" are dumb data objects and they shove all the
> business
> logic into what they call the controller.

that depends on the application implementation, does it not?  i
haven't yet seen anything that prevents putting the business logic
and 'create_user' code in the ActiveRecord models.  care to elaborate?

> This is bloody important for building good application architecture
> - a cron
> script or e-mail gateway should be able to invoke e.g. a create
> user function
> in the model without ever having to load the web-related code. If your
> create user logic is in the controller, you're stuck with either
> talking to the
> app over HTTP or simulating a request.

this sort of design misstep can be achieved in Catalyst or RoR, so i
suspect there must be something more to your story that i'm not getting.