[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed May 9 16:14:10 GMT 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:45:43AM +0100, Jamie Neil wrote:
> RA Jones wrote:
> >Absolutely - I'm in exactly the same position, and am following almost
> >exactly the same process, except that I abandoned RoR early on and
> >decided to stick with Perl for the re-write. Catalyst was an entirely
> >new concept to me, having progressed from a long-list-of-if-elsif-else
> >type scripting -> CGI::Application -> Catalyst/DBIC and found, and am
> >still finding, it hard going. The Tutorial was a massive help, without
> >which I'm pretty sure I could not have even got off the ground, and so
> >is the Catalyst & DBIC mailing lists, but would also find an article on
> >next-step development and best practices extremely useful. Count this as
> >a vote in favour.
>
> What he said :)
>
> I've spent the last week or so trying to distill out the essence of how
> other people have done it (Handel and C::M::DBIC::Schema mostly), but
> the amount of unfamiliar modules and coding techniques is making my
> brain hurt.

I had that problem when I first came to Catalyst, to be honest (much though
people may forget I only joined the development team properly for the 5.50
branch) - I did a -lot- of reading up on MVC and other patterns - the portland
pattern repository (the original c2.com wiki) did me a lot of good as did
reading the Catalyst sources to get a feel for how they hung together, but
it was still hard work. This is why I'm considering trying to write it up
- I don't think it'll ever be an -easy- leap to take but at least I can try
and make your brain hurt intensely for a brief period rather than moderately
over a long time :)