[Catalyst] Question about Catalyst::Controller::FormBuilder

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Mon May 14 13:22:43 GMT 2007

Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 10:43:31AM -0700, Balaji Srinivasan wrote:
>
>> Rather than the two approaches above, I think a better one was to add a new
>> validation type to the FormBuilder VALIDATE array.
>> $CGI::FormBuilder::Field::VALIDATE{FOOFIELD} = '/^[^,"]{6,40}$/';
>>
>> Now in all my forms, i just set the validate field to FOOFIELD.
>> This works great for me. It avoide me having to write my own validation code
>> and also avoids the need to add the regex to each form.
>>

> If this is a personal project and you'll always be the only developer, fine.
>
> If this is commercial work I consider it a terrible idea, but I hold my
> commercial work to high standards.

Bad idea because it's being done this way, or because it is being done
at all?

I ask because I also extended the validation fields, but in a CCF
sub-class under the Controller::FormBuilder config option. eg
__PACKAGE__->config(
 'Controller::FormBuilder' => {
   new => {
     # stuff,
   },
   validate => {
     # new or over-ridden validation options
   }

and my controllers inherit this. Is that an OK way to do it?
--

Richard Jones