[Catalyst] Form validation in insert() and update()?

mla maurice.aubrey at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:45:49 GMT 2007

I'm studying different frameworks for a new project.
I'm very new to Catalyst and am reading through the tutorial.
In part 8, advanced CRUD, there's an example of form validation.

The approach is very similar to what I've always used
but I've been looking at Rails recently and noticed that they
run the validation code at the point the ORM is saved/updated.

What are the thoughts on this? It does seem kind of elegant to
not have the validation tied to a specific html form. That *any*
attempt to modify an ORM object would, regardless of source,
hit the same validation checks and produce the same errors.

The other thing that's striking about the Rails approach to me
is the convention over configuration philosophy. I really like the
fact that Catalyst isn't tied to a specific view or ORM approach.
But OTOH, it makes the framework a bit daunting and seem less
organized.

How do you build/validate forms? Well, you use HTML::Widget or
Data::Validate or Catalyst::Enyzme or FormFu. <quietly sobbing>

I would like to see The Way defined, with copious footers about
TMTOWTDI. I'm a huge fan of Perl and use it for my day job, so
I'm not being critical of The Perl Way... just that there is
something to be said about having a well defined "default way,"
with officially blessed modules that aren't likely to be
abandoned in six months.

So what are the modules of choice right now? DBIx::Class for
the ORM. TT for the view. Data::Validate for form validation?
Any agreement on how/where to create the forms themselves?

Thanks,

Maurice