[Catalyst] running catalyst through mod_perl

John Goulah jgoulah at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:09:38 GMT 2007

If this is the wrong list, please direct me to the right place.  I'm trying
to get Catalyst working under apache/mod_perl (works fine with the
standalone server).

Basically, I have a very simple app called Registration. In apache I set it
up like:

<Location /registration>
 SetHandler perl-script
 PerlHandler Registration
</Location>

If I startup apache through the init.d script, it complains that it cant
find Registration.pm in @INC.  The obvious way around this was to set the
PERL5LIB env var to the path of my app lib dir, and so this does work:

  PERL5LIB=3D/var/www/registration/lib  /usr/sbin/apache2ctl start

However, I need a way to set this way so it "sticks" on reboot, ideally so I
can simply start apache through the /etc/init.d script. I suppose I could
edit that script directly, but I'd rather not (and assume there is a simpler
way)

I've tried setting the variable in the apache conf, but this doesn't seem to
work:
 PerlSetEnv  PERL5LIB  /var/www/registration/lib

Any ideas here on what i'm missing?

Second question.  I am using the FormValidator::Simple plugin.  In my
lib/Registration.pm file, I set it up like this (per the documentation):

__PACKAGE__->config(
  validator =3D> {
    messages =3D> 'messages.yml'
 }
}

Now when I startup apache (the one way I can get it to work) and hit my URL,
I get the error:
 failed to resolve handler `Registration': set hash reference or YAML file
path. at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/FormValidator/Simple/Messages.pm line
43\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 3.

When I give the absolute path to messages.yml in the config above, the error
resolves, however I dont want to set an absolute path here for obvious
reasons.  What are  my options ?

Thanks !
John