[Catalyst] Form validation in insert() and update()?

RA Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Mon May 14 22:28:45 GMT 2007

mla wrote:

> Clearly Catalyst has an opinion on how to handle the request
> with Catalyst::Request. I'm sure you could override that somehow and
> use your own, but it's helpful that there's a default request
> interface that new developers can get up to speed quickly with.
>
> I don't see why that can't apply to form creation and validation too.
> Sure, if you don't like it, use something else, but for someone new
> to Catalyst, having a Catalyst Way is helpful (unless we don't know
> what a good way is).

The current consensus for building/validating forms seems to be around
CGI::FormBuilder via the Catalyst::Controller::FormBuilder base
controller. Personally I have some reservations about using FormBuilder
for validation, though am persisting with it for now. Someone recently
threatened to do a Data::FormValidator plugin for Catalyst. Would be
most welcome, but sadly is beyond my capabilities to do such a thing at
present.
--
Richard Jones