[Catalyst] catalyst tutorial: MyAppDB/Book.pm vs. MyApp/Model/Book.pm

Daniel Hulme st at istic.org
Tue May 15 14:59:38 GMT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:24:17PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:47:57AM -0700, mla wrote:
> > I like how if you fetch columns that don't exist in the table
> > the object becomes read-only by default.
>
> That's neat, although I prefer tools that presume I know that I'm doing.

Why would you want to fetch columns that don't exist in the table? And
if you did, why would you want the object to be read-only. I can easily
think of cases where you'd want the object that comes out of the ORM to
have fields that didn't come from the database, even more so than object
inflation, and it seems likely that you'd want it to do something clever
when it puts the object back, but I can't think of a useful situation
for this case. Could someone supply me with one, please?

--
Every program eventually reaches a point where it becomes harder to make
a simple change than to rewrite the program from scratch. Unfortunately,