[Catalyst] Re: Form validation in insert() and update()?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Sun May 20 20:58:26 GMT 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

> * Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org> [2007-05-20 16:40]:
>> If the action is a create or update, you want to redirect to
>> the URI for the thing being created or updated. You may _also_
>> want to include some form "successfully updated" message, so
>> this pattern works well for this. That's not very RESTful,
>> though, which is making me think about this some more for my
>> latest project.
>
> Why not stash the message in the query string for the redirect
> target? Or a hash key.
>
>    303 See Other
>    Location: /article/why-webarch-matters?msg=created
>
> Then have infrastructure for an `msg` param to cause a message
> box to be shown, with the content “Your article was successfully
> created” as found under the `created` key of your message
> phrasebook (which also gives you a convenient hook for i18n).
>
> It looks a bit crude, but it’s actually a rather good solution in
> REST terms. (Eg. intermediaries won’t cache that resource as the
> same you can retrieve from /article/why-webarch-matters where the
> message box is missing; etc.)

A couple problems. The biggest is that besides messages, I also pass along
the submitted form data, so the form can be displayed with what the user
submitted. That won't fit in a query string in many cases.

I also like the fact that reloading the page gets rid of the messages that
were being displayed, but that's really a small point compared to the the
form data issue.

-dave