[Catalyst] ActiveRecord for Perl

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue May 22 14:51:35 GMT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 01:24:57AM -0700, mla wrote:
> Adam Bartosik wrote:
> >>I'm considering trying to port Ruby's ActiveRecord to Perl
> >>as a lightweight ORM option (with some small changes
> >>maybe, like composite PKs). If anyone's interested, toss
> >>me a message privately and we'll coordinate.
> >
> >What I found missing in DBIx::Class is AR method find_by_sql(sql).
> >We use catalyst&dbix for months (kind of data-warehouse project), but
> >rewriting complex, read-only SQL statements to dbix/perl notation is for
> >me a waste of time (when editing & updating tables with ORM is so fast
> >to code and intuitive).
> >
> >However is it worth to build just-another-orm for perl when DBIx::Class
> >is not so far to be really good one?
>
> Maybe not. Or maybe we could write a wrapper to give more of an AR
> interface.
>
> I'm currently trying to decide on Catalyst or Rails for a new project.
> I like the flexibility of Catalyst (and love Perl), but I'm attracted to
> a lot of the design decisions in Rails (I like the fact, for example,
> that ActiveRecord::Validations supports data validation in the model,
> just like we were discussing in a previous thread).

So you're planning to re-invent DBIx::Class::Validation as well as the core.

I'm still not seeing where you wouldn't be better hopping onto the DBIC list
and seeing if we can't find a way to get you any features you consider
missing implement in DBIx::Class rather than you wasting a year of your life
re-writing it all (and trust me, it'll take that long ... there's all sorts
of pain points you get writing an ORM that you don't realise are there until
you hit them).