[Catalyst] ActiveRecord for Perl

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue May 22 17:43:32 GMT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:29:25AM -0700, Michael Reece wrote:

> On May 22, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:
>
> >>  item = user.items.find(params[:id])
> >
> >my $item = $user->items->find($item_id);
> >
> >>  new_item = user.items.create!(params[:item])
> >
> >my $new_item = $user->items->create(\%item_info);
>
> that's great; i thought i had recalled something similar, but
> couldn't find it again in my quick skim of DBIx::Class::Manual::*
>
> >>you can get close to that with RDBO's $user->find_items() (and
> >>maybe DBIC
> >>has something similarish) but the ruby way here feels so much better!
> >
> >How?
>
> personal satisfaction.

Right, but the DBIC code involved is almost identical.

Given that you now know that, would you be willing to consider contributing
any features you consider missing in DBIx::Class rather than writing another
implementation of essentially the same API? (DBIC is intentionally not
opinionated to let people do things their way with it - there are more than
enough perl ORM projects already and I wanted to provide something people could
subclass/extend rather than have to re-invent again :)