[Catalyst] Sending email from Catalyst and scripts

Evaldas Imbrasas evaldas at imbrasas.com
Tue May 22 19:10:58 GMT 2007

Hello list,

I'm looking for best practices for sending email from the catalyst app
that would also work with command-line scripts (cronjobs, one-time
scripts, etc.).

In my current setup, Email model takes care of storing metadata in the
database for each sent email, and Email controller has a private
method which takes care of generating and sending actual emails. Is
this the right way to go, or would it make more sense to move the
email sending functionality to some utility module so it works equally
well for non-catalyst scripts as well? Or is it easy enough to
setup/prepare the catalyst context in the scripts so that I could use
the send_email method from the catalyst Email controller?

What is the most common email framework setup among catalyst users? I
think it would be useful to add a few possible examples for this to
Catalyst::Manual::Cookbook as well.

Thanks.