[Catalyst] ActiveRecord for Perl

mla maurice.aubrey at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:38:53 GMT 2007

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> mla wrote:
>> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>>> Did you ask about it on the mailing list?  Nearly all of the Perl ORMs
>>> have support for direct SQL.  I don't know DBIx::Class, but
>>> "search_literal" sounds like what you want.
>>>
>>> I doubt there's anything worth porting in ActiveRecord that one of the
>>> many Perl options (DBIx::Class, Rose::DB::Object, Class::DBI, Tangram,
>>> Alzabo) doesn't provide.
>> If I may ask, Perrin, what do you use?
>>
>> Maurice
>
> I'm one of those odd birds that's used CDBI, DBIC and RDBO.
> I've converted from CDBI to DBIC and also written an RDBO layer for a
> project.
>
> /CDBI smart ass comments deleted/ :-)
>
> They all have their quirks. DBIC does a great job of getting out of your
> way. If there's an option, chances are you can set it at the class
> and/or object instance level, allowing fair amounts of evil to be
> accomplished. :-)
>
> RDBO tickles my fancy if I'm really into triggers at the various stages
> of data usage. What I really really missed from DBIC when writing RDBO
> was deploy(). The ability to just kick out a db schema into a DB from a
> DBIC schema totally rocks.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Other than the the deploy() stuff,
any other criticisms of RDBO? Now that I'm looking at it again, I'm
liking the design very much.

I found this thread that compared some of the differences (might be
outdated now):

   http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/3095

What would cause you to *not* use RDBO on a new project?

Maurice