[Catalyst] ActiveRecord for Perl

John Siracusa siracusa at mindspring.com
Wed May 23 18:44:58 GMT 2007

On 5/23/07 12:47 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> I tend to think in terms of conceptual mapping rather than in terms of
> API details, and I think I could fairly easily implement the DBIC API atop
> RDBO and vice versa (modulo the odd missing feature on either side)

Sure, but what would the result look like?  I think it's wise to concentrate
on a single API.  Just look at CDBICompat for an example of how hard it is
to maintain two APIs, even when one is preexisting.  It's also a headache
for users: which is the "real" or "native" API?

> Never mind, maybe we can collaborate on a perl6 ORM when there's a production
> implementation of the language for us to code to :)

Yes, I've always considered this all prototype work for Perl 6...although
then we have to allow for the first two throw-away ORMs for Perl 6 as we all
learn how the heck to use the language in the best way.  It never ends... ;)

-John