[Catalyst] JavaScript::Minifier new version

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Sat May 26 23:01:21 GMT 2007

Hi Nilson,

Thanks for the feedback.

On 5/26/07, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior <acid06 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/26/07, Peter Michaux <petermichaux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm new to Perl and Catalyst. I thought I'd give first (before the
> > onslaught of Catalyst questions;-)). I wrote a new version of
> > JavaScript::Minifier and since you are web folks I thought some might
> > find it userful.
>
> This is probably something handy to have around. However I think you
> forgot to clean up your SVN working copy before committing the module
> to CPAN.

I forgot to do export instead of a fresh checkout. Ok. I'll get that next time.

> By the way, I looked at the code and I think I'll make some
> suggestions. First of all: don't be afraid to use regular expressions.
> They're fast and can make your code cleaner and shorter.

I'll change them in the next version. I didn't realize regexps are
that much faster.

> Since you're new to Perl and, according to your blog posts, you're
> wondering if a language could be any uglier than Perl, may I suggest
> you take a look at more modern ways of coding Perl such as using Moose
> or even reading Higher Order Perl (since you seem to like Lisp). I
> won't suggest Catalyst itself (along with DBIx::Class) because, since
> you're here, you're probably already aware of it. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions. I just want to keep a little utility
module like this plain Perl without any dependencies. Just because I
think Perl if funny looking doesn't affect whether or not I'll be
using it. With my first Perl adventure I did notice that it is very
slow to type $s->{a} instead of s.a like in JavaScript.

Thanks again,
Peter