[Catalyst] [ANNOUNCE] Grokbase - Catalyst-based mailing list archive

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Mon May 28 18:00:11 GMT 2007

On 5/28/07, Gavin Henry <ghenry at perl.me.uk> wrote:

> Very nice, and definitely a Google App feel to it. I can see dojo etc.
> there too.
>
> It's fast and I like the red Loading... message, just like google.

Thanks Gavin. I'm glad you like it and that it's snappy for you. Keeping the
performance acceptable was a big design objective.

Is this a closed app?

It is closed for now but that may (or may not) change in the future. There
are a number of reasons why it may be pre-mature to open. I think it would
be more beneficial to start opening some of the underlying libraries and
adding functionality to some existing Perl modules, both of which would be
of more general use. Also, a number of architecture / design departures were
made from standard practices so some discussion and proving is needed. A
while back I put together the following slides about what I learned from
building this project so far. I'd like to see if the ideas in there are
generally useful and if / how they could work with a higher layer of
abstraction, e.g. Reaction, which would also provide more broad ranging
benefits.

http://www.dev411.com/slides/webappdesign.xul

It would be great to hear what people thought about the slides as well.

-- =

John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/