[Catalyst] DProf

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 09:16:58 GMT 2007

From: "Lars Balker Rasmussen" <lars at balker.dk>

> Oh, Catalyst can handle mighty big apps (230 files in lib totalling
> 800KB -
> don't get me started on templates).
>
> But you left out the most important fact:  How much traffic are you
> seeing?
> Apache (and mod_perl) doesn't use much cpu, if there's no traffic.

The traffic is very low I'd say. I usually see 40,000 - 60,000 lines in
access_log in a day.
>From these accesses, aproximately 10% are requests to big files ~ 2 mb each.
Those files are not downloaded by Catalyst, because I've set Apache to use
the default handler for the files from a certain directory, however, the
Apache processes that transfer those files use mod_perl.

> Fighting cpu usage in webapps really mostly comes down to: Don't do any
> work
> you don't have to, i.e. cache cache cache.

I've done caches everywhere I could, because my application really needs
caches, but the added functionality didn't require adding new caches, and
the application started to work bad.
But I never cached TT templates under Catalyst. Where and how can I specify
that I want the templates to be cached?

Thank you.