[Catalyst] A question on persistence with sessions or similar

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Nov 7 03:40:01 GMT 2007

Hi Folks:

   Here is what I want to do.  I want to preserve values of stuff across
the life of a session, without having to jump through hoops to do it.  I
want it to survive redirects in the app.  It would be nice if it were
just like stash.

   Really, it is very simple.  And I thought I had it.

	$c->flash

as part of C::P::Sessions, C::P::Sessions::Store::FastMmap and
C::P::Sessions::State::Cookie says it preserves state across redirects.
  You have to touch the values at each instance (and since this is in
the middle of a bunch of forms that might be suspect).

   Unfortunately, I am noticing lots of dropouts of state.  Values go
missing and all that.  The session ids are preserved.  The state is not.

   Rather than jamming this all into a cookie, I would like a server
side version that "just works".  I am awful close to using a
quick-n-dirty DB for this explicitly, using the session_id as a key.

   I am assuming it is massive pilot error on my part, but I am having
trouble finding it.  I get the same behavior with
C::P::Sessions::Store::File as I do with FastMmap.  Any thoughts?  Is
the state working perfectly for others?  If so, are you using FastMmap?
  Are you using Cache?

   Finally as an RFE for 5.8, it would be really, really nice if there
was a $c->sessionstash that worked just like stash.  Stash is great,
things that work like stash are great.

--
Joe Landman
landman at scalableinformatics.com