[Catalyst] Selective debug output

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Nov 7 13:46:48 GMT 2007

J. Shirley wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 5:47 PM, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> =

>> Joe Landman wrote:
>>> How do I selectively enable or disable debugging output?
>>> Specifically, FormBuilder debugging output is simply far to verbose to
>>> be meaningful to us.  I suppose I could simply pass in a debug=3D>0 when
>>> I create the form.  Is there any global way?
>>>
>>> FWIW:  I only want to surpress formbuilder output during debug.
>> Unfortunately there is no way to do what you want.  Most of the plugins
>> (etc.) just check $c->debug to see whether or not to log via
>> $c->log->debug.  I suggest a filter in a custom log class (just regex
>> the formbuilder crap out), or fixing the plugins/controllers to check
>> $c->config->{pluginname_debug) or something.  Maybe we can make this
>> easier in 5.8; suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jonathan Rockway
>>

> I would prefer something like:
> MyApp->config(
>     'PluginName' =3D> { debug =3D 0 }
> );
> =

> Thoughts?
> =

> =

> =

g/
> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

On a somewhat related note.
While writing REST tests thius weekend, I set CATALYST_DEBUG=3D0, yet
C::A::REST insisted on debugging anyway. I guess I never realized that
you always have to check $c->debug first, and assumed $c->log->debug
would go to the bit bucket if CATALYST_DEBUG was false.

In my case, I just cheated, and had MyApp::debug do the check first to
squelch all of the non believers.

-=3DChris