[Catalyst] transforming a Catalyst uni-lang app into a multi-lang one

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:33:19 GMT 2007

Hi,

I've made a site using Catalyst that uses a single language, and now I want
to transform it into a multi language site and I don't know which would be
the most easy method.

I use Catalyst::Plugin::I18N and I already made the translations, modified
the TT templates and controllers, but I don't know how to do some things.

I want to print on each page some links that can be used for changing the
language, and I want those links to contain the URI of the current page,
with the single difference the code of the language in a query string like
&lang=en.

I don't know how to do that, because in the templates I might be able to get
the URI of the current web page, but I don't know how to search if the URI
contains something like lang=en and change it with lang=fr, or if it doesn't
contain that and I need to add it.

I've started using another method, but it is not ok. I've made another
controller named Lang.pm and it just sets the wanted language in a cookie,
then redirects to the referer page. It works fine, but the problem is that
the search engines started to index the page in just a single language
because no matter the language, the pages have the same URI.
(I think Google doesn't store more language dependent page versions if they
all have the same URL).

Do you have some recommendations for what I want to do?

Thanks.

Octavian