[Catalyst] Catalyst RPMs for CentOS5

mh mh at iquer.net
Fri Oct 19 15:02:58 GMT 2007

Hi everyone,

i am new to catalyst and to this list so i hope i am not asking something that
has been answered a thousand times before. I didn't find anything useful in
the archives though, except some proposals to build catalyst rpms for
CentOS(4)...

I wanted to install catalyst on several CentOS5 servers and wanted to use rpms
for this and not cpan. I use many rpms from the dag repository, built several
missing rpms (with cpan2rpm mostly) and patched a few others and catalyst is
working in a basic state now. But e.g. for Catalyst::Plugin::Session i need a
newer version of Tie::RefHash (at least 1.34, installed version is 1.32). The
problem is that this is no single rpm in CentOS but part of the core perl
rpm. And i guess this is not the only module i will have to upgrade, i had a
similar problem with Test::Simple already. So it seems that i will have to
build a newer perl core rpm :(

As the plan is to build as few rpms as possible, especially those already in a
repository, to keep future conflicts with official rpms to a minimum i wanted
to ask if there is a way around this before i start. Maybe someone has done
this before and can tell me which route they chose and why. Or anything else
that's useful.

Thanks in advance,

Markus